- Full time fixed term until 31/12/2027
- Opportunity for a lectureship role in the School of Language and Culture’s Department of Hebrew, Biblical and Jewish Studies at the University of Sydney
- Academic level C. Base Salary $138,645 - $159,867 p.a. + 17% superannuation
About the opportunity
Over the last decade the faculty has developed a strong program of Jewish Civilisation, Holocaust and Israel Studies and Contemporary Jewry, including studies relating to Israel, looking at its historical past, contemporary domestic policies and external conflicts, at undergraduate, including Honours, masters and doctoral levels, as part of its strong program in Jewish Studies. This is your opportunity to develop your skills and expertise alongside internationally renowned scholars in a supportive team environment. In this lectureship role, you will:
- teach and supervise at both the undergraduate and postgraduate levels, and help coordinate and promote the Israel, Jewish Civilisation, and Holocaust Studies programs in an interdisciplinary environment, working closely with the Department of History, and developing links with other Faculty departments
- undertake research and publication in your area of specialization and secure grant funding
- take part in administrative activities in the Department and serve on School and Faculty committees
- contribute to professional and community collaborations in the field.
We are looking for a Senior Lecturer in Israel, Jewish Civilisation and Holocaust Studies who possesses:
- a PhD in Jewish Studies with a preference for Modern Jewish Studies including Holocaust or Israel Studies
- a proven ability to teach in Jewish Civilisation, Thought and Culture across the broad spectrum of Jewish, Holocaust and Israel Studies
- knowledge of Modern Hebrew
- evidence of being an innovative and creative thinker who can strengthen and expand the program, as well as being able to contribute to the broader Jewish Civilisation program
- evidence of being self-driven and experienced, as well as working well in teams
- research potential that is demonstrated by publications and/or grants.
Highly desirable for appointment is your:
- knowledge of at least one European language
- evidence of community involvement including professional Jewish Studies societies
To be considered for this role, please address the below in your Cover Letter and upload.
- Demonstrate your ability to teach in Jewish Civilisation, Thought and Culture, across the broad spectrum of Jewish, Holocaust and Israel Studies
- Give a precis of your research goals in your areas of research expertise
To keep our community safe, please be aware of our COVID safety precautions which form our conditions of entry for all staff, students and visitors coming to campus.
For the right candidates, visa sponsorship is available for this position.
Your employment is conditional upon the completion of all role required pre-employment or background checks in terms satisfactory to the University. Similarly, your ongoing employment is conditional upon the satisfactory maintenance of all relevant clearances and background check requirements. If you do not meet these conditions, the University may take any necessary step, including the termination of your employment.
At the University of Sydney, our shared values include diversity and inclusion and we strive to be a place where everyone can thrive. We are committed to creating a University community which reflects the wider community that we serve. We deliver on this commitment through our people and culture programs, as well as key strategies to increase participation and support the careers of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People, women, people living with a disability, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, and those who identify as LGBTIQ. We welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds.
Closing date for applications
11:59 pm, 3 October 2022
How to apply
Please click here to apply https://usyd.wd3.myworkdayjobs.com/USYD_EXTERNAL_CAREER_SITE/job/Brennan-MacCallum-Building/The-Roth-Foundation-Senior-Lectureship-on-Israel--Jewish-Civilisation-and-Holocaust-Studies_0096774-1
© The University of Sydney